In collaboration with Wellspring Counselling (a charity based in Nailsea), a series of workshops were facilitated at the Dementia Meeting Centre in Christchurch, Clevedon during February and March 2023.
These aimed to help Caregivers learn a number of skills and coping strategies to build resilience in their care role. These workshops have included the following topics:
- Managing your stress levels
- Improving how you feel about yourself
- Managing your frustrations
- Coping with change
- Keeping your spirits up
In addition to developing a deeper understanding of the many emotions experienced as a care-giver, participants were offered a range of practical skills to support them on a daily basis e.g., breathing and relaxation techniques, learning to be kind to oneself and how to express emotions in a safe and supportive way.
These workshops were well-received with the following feedback:
- Peer support brought a sense of unity and solidarity in their shared experience.
- Provided a safe place in which to share knowledge and other hints and tips learnt from the experience of being a carer
- Carers felt more at ease knowing that their cared-for were meaningfully engaged with other members of the DMC whilst they were attending the workshops.
Including these heartwarming quotes:
- “I now know it’s okay to cry”
- “It’s important to be kind to yourself as you’re doing the best you can”
- “It feels good knowing that I’m not alone and spending time with other people in the same situation is a huge source of support and comfort”
If you would like to learn more about our Carers’ Workshops, please reach out to our Building Mental Health Resilience Manager, Julie Drew on 0117 377 4756